Winter Home Heating Safety Tips

As the temperature outdoors dips into the 30’s it becomes important to be aware of a few home heating safety tips as a way to protect you, your family and your investment. Your home is one of the biggest investments you will ever make, and that is why it is so important to consider these basic home heating safety tips. For example, it is a known fact that generators can create exhaust fumes that are toxic. Always place generators outside and far enough away from windows and doors and vents so that carbon monoxide does not enter your home.

Causing Headaches and Even Unconsciousness

Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that can build up quickly and last for hours lingering in your home and causing headaches and even unconsciousness. Also keep in mind that appliances that use combustion for energy to cook, warm your home or even for decorative purposes can be dangerous. Fuels used today for combustion appliances can include everything from kerosene to oil and natural as well as liquefied petroleum in addition to coal and wood. Heaters, furnaces and ovens along with fireplaces and water heaters can all present danger because they may be using this type of fuel.

Be Aware of Changes in How You Feel

While in most cases these types of combustion appliances are completely safe, there are certain circumstances where they can result in combustion fumes and pollutants that can indeed have an effect on health and even cause loss of life. Be aware of changes in how you feel including dizziness, headaches, sleepiness in addition to watery eyes and problems breathing. These can all indicate the carbon monoxide or some other type of toxic gas is present. Typically speaking, the best thing to do if you suspect that toxic gases are present in your home is to vacate the premises immediately.

These Materials Can All Release Dangerous Chemicals

Remember that a combustion appliance that has been properly installed should operate as advertised and not cause any problems. However, if you see or smell smoke this may indicate that there is something wrong. Always avoid burning any type of artificial material including plastic, foam or even colored or inked paper as well as household garbage for fuel. These materials all release toxic chemicals that can only lead to unwanted health related problems. Contact Alpine Heating & Cooling today to learn more about Skagit County  heater installation and services with a proven track record.


Write a Comment

Fields with * are required